So, I like that Scott Lowe created a project list and shared with us the readers of his blog his progress throughout the year and a final update. It was a pretty balanced list which included some tech stuff and learning German. I decided to create a similar list of Goals for 2013 as they were in my noodle to begin with. I promise to update you guys on my efforts and hopefully be as transparent with you as Scott has been with us.
- Run 1500 miles – More so than most people, I have to maintain a healthy weight to stay off medication. I’ve found over the years that the only effective way has been to run. It’s going to be a combination of treadmill and outdoor running (hey I live in Chicago). You can track my progress via RunKeeper here
- Obtain my PMP – I have a Masters in IT Project Management and I might as well
- Renew my CCNA – I don’t do much networking any more but it expires in March and the knowledge comes in handy
- Read the Entire Bible – One of the every year goals
- Learn to Speak Spanish – Paid a lot of money for Rossetta Stone a few years ago. It’s about time I put it to use
- Become proficient in Linux – I’ve avoided this since 1999. I don’t think I can continue to put it off
I think the learning to speak Spanish goal might be a little tough. I’ve attempted it before and it’s just difficult. I actually wrote a paper on it for school. I might just dig it up to remind me of some of my lessons learned (See how I brought the project management thing into it). That being said, a friend of mine has recommended that I check out the UK Language Project Leeds, as their one to one Spanish lessons could be just what I need to finally master the language. Watch this space. The certifications are relatively low hanging fruit but I feel the other 3 goals are pretty tough and should really challenge me. At the end of the year I have to be able to look back on this list and at list be able to present it to my parents without worries of getting disciplined 🙂
What are some of your Goals for 2013?